(From the editor: This article was originally published on Channel Partner Connection.)
Most SMBs (small and medium size businesses) don’t give their printers much thought until a problem brings them top-of-mind. Unfortunately, because the mindset is often, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, many don’t realize that they are working with outdated devices that don’t meet their needs and are leaving opportunities to cut costs and boost productivity on the table.
Here are 7 questions that can help you realize when it’s time to replace your printer fleet:
1. Do you know your total print cost – and are you spending more than you should be?
Most people don’t realize that there are simple ways to cut their printing costs that don’t require them to do less printing, starting with your total number and age of your printers. Even if your organization is small, you may still find that you have multiple older printers that don’t meet your needs. Replacing older personal desktop units with newer more advanced workgroup alternatives can significantly reduce their printing costs and help you make the most of limited space. Perhaps even more importantly, many older devices won’t allow you to enable a print management system – or to turn that responsibility over to a trusted partner.
The Xerox Versalink family of business printers, are designed for small and medium size work groups and come equipped with tools that allow tracking of printer usage, which, among other things, can help cut costs by ensuring that documents aren’t printed unnecessarily or left sitting in the printer tray (a waste and a security risk).
2. Does your printer have the latest security features built-in?
Authentication. This option ensures that the printer will only release documents when users enter their PIN at the machine. No more potentially sensitive documents lying unsecured at the device.
Print encryption. Sensitive data that is sent to the printer without encryption leaves businesses vulnerable to hackers. File encryption protects your data as it moves, ensuring it is safe from creation to the destination.
- Password protected scanning. By allowing unrestricted scanning, users are potentially making sensitive information available to the wrong parties. A smart MFP gives you the choice to password protect your PDFs so that only the right people can access the data they contain.
3. Can your printer improve your workflows or boost your productivity?
4. Is your printer mobile and cloud ready?
5. Does your printer translate?
6. Has your printer grown with your business?
7. How many calls are you making to Service or IT?
So, How Did You Do?
If any of those questions had you thinking “ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” or questioning your current technology, it may be time to consider upgrading your technology. Who doesn’t want better performance and higher productivity?
The good news is, we’re here to help you figure out what technology best suits your needs without breaking the bank. Request a free technology assessment or let’s just have a conversation. Tell us what YOU need – we’re here to help you get started.
P.S. If you think you’re ready to upgrade now, check out our promotions page – we’ve got some incredible devices with amazing discounts.